Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

WAITING TIME ISN'T WASTED TIME

The first half of our summer had purpose.  After I retired from being a pastor, we took several weeks vacation to visit our kids and travel the east coast. 

Upon returning, we participated in the Tri-State Family Camp in East Liverpool.  This ten days always brings us meaning and pleasure as we spend it with family and friends.  After camp, I still had to finish a TESL Class in Pittsburgh.

But since then it seems that we've been playing the waiting game.  We are having to meet meticulous requirements established by the Chinese government;  this occupies some of our time.  We have lots of reading to do in preparation for our 'orientation' - set for the end of next week.  A missionary (who speaks Chinese and has been there for over ten years) is being flown it to spend two days training us.  In addition, I have been asked to preach for three Sundays as a supply for a pastor on vacation.

But to be honest, we feel like we're temporarily on-the-shelf. 

We hope to soon receive our coveted "Letter of Invitation" that will allow us to BEGIN the process of applying for our visas.  We hear that's an arduous process that usually culminates in a last-minute-approval and a hurried flight to our destination. 

I think we'd both just like to get there - tomorrow (or maybe after one last visit with our grandkids). 

So, is this just wasted time?  All we seem to be doing is waiting to go.

No!  No!

I'm aware of God doing essential work in my life!
  1. I am learning a great deal about China!  The books I'm reading are filling in vital gaps about the history of China, facts about Chinese culture and behavior, and the vital emergence of Christianity in China!
  2. Debbie and I eagerly anticipate our 'orientation' with Dana Weld.  We know God is going to use this veteran to teach and coach us in vital areas of knowledge!
  3. There is also a spiritual work going on in my heart and life as I fast, pray and wait before the Lord.  God is teaching me about humility and depending on Him through prayer!  I am grateful for His supreme patience in working with me.
Years ago, Henry Blackaby's book, Experiencing God, made a massive impact on my life and theology.  One of the big things I learned from him was that when nothing seems to be happening, when there is no clear assignment from God, use the time to draw near to God and work on your relationship with Him!

So, our waiting time is NOT wasted time!  It is, rather, a vital time of education and preparation!  And we're maximizing it to the best of our ability!!

No comments:

Post a Comment