Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

ADAM AND EVE

They knew something that none of the rest of us have known - a guilt free life!

We can only imagine what that must have been like.  No sin.  No remorse.  No shame.  No regrets. 

A clear conscience is a valuable thing! 

We don't hear it much these days, but when I was growing up in the church people gave testimonies describing what it was like for them to give their life to Christ. 

Over and over you heard things like: 
  • "I feel so clean!"
  • "It's like a burden has been lifted!"
  • "I feel light as a feather!"
  • "I'm free!"

In Pilgrim's Progress, at the point of salvation Pilgrim's napsack is released from his shoulders and rolls away from him.

I believe this is the closest we can come to experiencing what Adam and Eve knew.

Unfortunately for us, living in a sinful world causes us to accumulate more sin and guilt and shame. 

We must train ourselves to come regularly to God for forgiveness.  The prayer He taught His disciples was a model for daily prayer that included the words:  (Luke 11:3-4 - NASB)
Forgive us our sins, for we ourselves also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.
If we are disciplined in staying close to God, we can enjoy the benefits of living with a clear conscience. 

You ask, "Is this possible?"

In Acts 23:1, the Apostle Paul says,
Brethren, I have lived my life with a perfectly good conscience before God up to this day.
So I would say, "Yes, it is possible!"

God didn't love Paul any more than He loves you! 

My Dad used to spend most of his evenings in his bedroom.  He had a nice radio and comfortable chair there and would spend the time listening to WBVP and reading the newspaper.  I would occasionally slip in to talk with him.  I often caught him on his knees at his bedside.  I never heard what he was saying, but I think he was clearing the slate before he went to bed!  Not a bad idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment