Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

THE TALK

Everyone grows up thinking their Mom is the best cook in the world!  I was no different.

My Dad was a man of few words and rare affection.  After I became engaged, he and I were alone one day;  he started out:  "Son, now that you and Debbie are engaged..."

I thought to myself:  "This is Dad's 'Marriage Talk'".  I was anxious to receive his advice.  I respected him and knew I needed all the help I could get.

His next words (after an awkward pause):  "...don't ever compare Debbie's cooking to your Mom's!"

I made a mental note:  "OK, that must be really important since he said it first."  Then I waited for whatever was next...

Nothing else came.  That was it!  "Don't ever compare Debbie's cooking to your Mom's!" 

I thought:  "Wow!  That must be important!"

We were married.

I noticed immediately that Debbie's cooking was VERY different from my Mom's.  I said nothing.

However, after eating Debbie's cooking for a year, I decided to venture into the dangerous ground of disobedience.

First, I told her the story of my Dad's 'talk'.  Then, I told her that after eating her cooking for a year, I realized that my Mom cooked nearly everything well-done!

She smiled.  We laughed. 

Last night, I had 'The Talk' with Troy.  I covered a little more than my Dad did...    :-) 

2 comments:

  1. This advice would have done Dennis a little good a few years ago. lol Ask him how he likes my snickerdoodles!
    Lori Massey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count on it - I will! :-) Hal

    ReplyDelete