Search This Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012

THE INVISIBLE LOST

I read John 4, this morning.  It includes the wonderful story of Jesus' encounter with a Samaritan woman. 

Jesus and His disciples have been ministering in Judea, but the Pharisees are creating trouble for Him.  So, Jesus decides to go to His home area (Galilee - 60 miles to the north) for awhile - to let things cool down.

Jesus travels due north, straight through Samaria.  His disciples are probably not happy about this. 

Weary from travel and hungry, they stop at a village named Sychar.  Jesus sits at Jacob's well (outside of town) while His friends go into town to buy food.

A lone woman arrives shortly after to draw water.  She purposely came alone because of the abuse she suffered from the other women in town because of her lifestyle.

Jesus exhibits amazing kindness to this woman and her life is completely redirected!  She witnesses to the townspeople and many of them are saved as well!

All-in-all, it's one of the truly great stories in our New Testament!

But there's an unspoken message.

When the disciples headed into town to buy food, they surely passed this lone woman on her way to the well.  They probably didn't even notice her.
  • They were likely talking.
  • Men didn't speak to women in public in that culture.
  • She was a Samaritan (half-breed).
  • They were focused on their own desire for food.
  • They did not yet realize what their mission was.
A woman with deep, spiritual needs was all but invisible to them!  They simply didn't see her!

How many hurting people do I pass every day who need what I can offer?  How many times am I busy talking?  Or, I'm so focused on the mission I'm on that I don't have eyes to see?  Or, I neglect people because they're different from me?  Or, I'm so caught up in my needs that I don't consider the needs of others?  Or, I just don't view myself as capable of  (or responsible for) ministering to them?

Lord,
Awaken me to the desperate needs of people around me.  Don't let me just pass them by!  Break my heart over their broken hearts.  Grow my compassion for lost and hurting people!  I am Your representative.  Provoke me by Your Holy Spirit!  Don't let me be callous and unconcerned!  Convict me until I wake up to my responsibilities and privileges.
Amen.

II Corinthians 5:20 (LB)
We are Christ's ambassadors.  God is using us to speak to you:  we beg you, as though Christ Himself were here pleading with you, receive the love He offers you - be reconciled to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment