Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2012

THE QUARTET

I grew up in a singing church.  There were a lot of musically talented people.  I learned to sing in the church.  For the first eleven years, I sang soprano.  Then for a couple of years I sang alto.  This transition was easy, we had several strong alto singers in the church - I simply sat in front of them and matched my voice to theirs.  Thanks Betty Paugh, Jean Miller, and a few others.

Then I learned the tenor part by listening to Chuck Payton and Morrison Baker.  I sang tenor for a few months - I've been a bass ever since!

As our skills grew, we were occasionally allowed to sing in the contatas for Christmas and Easter.  That was quite a thrill! 

Then, Martha Smeltzer, our youth leader, recognized some of our individual ability and worked with us on solos.  Jeanne Crow was most frequently used.  Linda Funkhouser sang a few times, too.  Then she asked me.  I was terrified to sing my first solo, but it went pretty well.

The next logical step was to put together a trio of girls and a mixed quartet.  The trio was always great!  The quartet seemed to be a blessing too!  It included Jeanne Crow, Ann Smith, Paul Funkhouser, and me. 

One Sunday night we were scheduled to sing.  We practiced and learned our song.  But something went dreadfully wrong as we began to sing.  It tickled my funny-bone, which quickly ignited Paul's giggle-spot too.  Essentially, Jeanne and Ann sang a duet that night while Paul and I giggled, laughed, and choked our way through the song - trying to regain our composure! 

Although we only lived three miles from the church, it was a LONG, QUIET ride home that night!  Upon arriving home, my Dad laid down the law:  I was never to sing in the quartet again.  I don't believe I ever did...

No comments:

Post a Comment