Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2012

SURPRISE!

It was January 27, 1962.

My Mom asked what I wanted for dinner that night - since it was my 10th birthday.  I believe I asked for hamburgers and french fries.

When my Dad got home from work, he wanted to go to Sahle's Chevrolet in Beaver Falls to look at cars.  He invited me to go along.  It was a rare treat to get to do something alone with my Dad, so I jumped at the chance.  Besides, it was very exciting to think that we might be getting a new car!

Upon arriving home, Dad asked me to put the garage door up - so he could put the car away.  When I lifted the door, the lights came on and about fifteen of my school-friends screamed "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"  It was the only birthday party I had - until last night.

I had come home early and snuggled in for a full evening of reading and relaxing.  Deb had been up and out early;  I hadn't seen her all day.  She said that there was something going on early at school.  Then, after tutoring, she and Laurie had some things to do for Troy's wedding.  She told me that Laurie's Connection Group was having a little dinner for Dennis and Lori Massey's anniversary - and that I should come over around 6:15 PM to get something to eat.

A little after six, I headed over to the fellowship hall.  It occurred to me that this must be a bigger event than I thought, because there were a lot of cars in the parking lot.  As I walked into the sanctuary, the Worship Team was there for practice.  Something seemed different in the way they all looked at me.  They all looked like the proverbial cat that swallowed the canary!

Then, I headed for the fellowship hall.  I thought it was strange that there was a 'Happy Birthday' sign on the wall.  I think I surprised everyone by being a few minutes early.  Everyone stopped talking and just looked at me.  Then, as though on a signal, they all hollered "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!' 

Deb had prepared a meal.  We all ate and visited.  I opened gifts and lots of cards and received the greetings of so many friends! 

Maybe it's turning 60?  Maybe it's something else?  But I can't seem to get my mind off Heaven this morning. 

John 5:24 (the VOICE)
[Jesus speaking] I tell you the truth:  eternal life belongs to those who hear My voice and believe in the One who sent Me.  These people have no reson to fear judgment because they have already left death and entered life.

Someday, we'll walk through a door and fall into the arms of Jesus!  We'll be held by the One who paid the price for our salvation.  As He holds us and whispers His love, we'll see a line of people waiting to welcome us:  family, friends, teachers, pastors, and saints!  And at that moment we will have just begun to experience what the Bible describes as "the joy of the Lord".  That joy and peace will go on as we continue to serve Him for an endless eternity...

No comments:

Post a Comment