Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

BULLDOZERS, HITCHES, PEWS, AND TIE-DOWNS!

In the course of my travels yesterday, I had interventions with some friends.

My first stop was at Fred Swartz's home.  I found him in the backyard working on a small bulldozer.  He had the whole thing in pieces and was tightening some bolts to prevent the transmission from leaking.  He'd used a cherry-picker to remove a 2,000 pound counter-balance.  He was relieved that he didn't have to remove the track.  The whole project was going to take over three weeks to accomplish. 

I went away impressed at his fearless attitude toward tackling a huge job!

Later, I was working on changing the ball on my Explorer hitch in front of my garage.  The thing has been rusting for years and was near impossible to loosen. Some of the tools I wanted were already packed up!  I was nearing the point of frustration when Dennis Mansfield (and his son, Denny) stopped by.  Pretty soon, they were under the back end of the vehicle with me pulling and grunting. 

After awhile, Dennis went home and got a grinder.  In minutes, he had the old ball cut off and replaced with the new 2-inch ball.  As he drove away, I was thankful for his friendship!  He put whatever he was doing aside and helped me solve my problem!

Then Debbie and I stopped to see Harold and Nellie Ewing.  We've had a short pew from Debbie's home church for years that needs to be cut down and put back together.  To have it done properly will take more skill than I have in working with wood.  After looking at it, Harold quickly agreed to take on the job.  Meanwhile he showed me some of the projects that he's working on in his shop. 

I went away impressed at his skill and patience in working in Jesus' trade as a finishing carpenter!  He can do things I'll never even dream of being able to do!

At almost dusk, I was struggling with some uncooperative tie-downs as I tried to secure the load on my little flatbed trailer.  Patience was running thin.  My friend, Curt Massey stopped on his way home from worship team practice and dove into the problem.  In short order he had my load tight and was on his way!

As I look back over the day, I am impressed with the skills, abilities, and generosity of my friends.  My life is much richer because of their friendship!  And I've just mentioned the four that I interesected with yesterday;  there are many more who impact me on a regular basis. 

Lord,
Thank You for my male friends!  Thank You for the unique way You've made them;  for the skills and abilities You've cultivated in them.  Thank You for their generosity.  Thank You for their wisdom and experience.  Thank You that they love their wives and care about their families.  Thank You that they're making a difference in the world - day by day!  Bless each of them today and meet whatever needs they might have!  And help me to be like them! 
Oh Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment