Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

PLANTING TREES

I was probably six or seven years old.  My Dad took me along as we drove to a friend's house down on Oak Hill.  In his back yard he had cultivated some silver maple saplings.  We selected about four.

We took them home, dug some holes and planted them in strategic places in our yard.  They varied in height from three to five feet.  It was fun working with my Dad!

Those saplings grew much faster than I did!  Before long, I was climbing them.

Over time, I helped top them several times.  My Mom would comment every time, "Well, Leonard, I think you killed them this time."  I always got the feeling that the neighbors were laughing at our work...

But the next year they would be just beautiful!

Dad and I raked the leaves and burned them in the yard every fall.  I loved that job and the smell of burning leaves is still one of my favorites. 

Hmmm.  Is it because of the smell - or because it takes me back to good times with my Dad? 

The next time I'm in New Brighton, I'll ride past and see if they're still there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment