Search This Blog

Friday, April 6, 2012

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS

What does that mean?

Does it mean the burdens that we face in life?
  • an obstinate spouse
  • a troublesome child
  • an oppostional boss
  • a physical limitation
  • a personality defect
  • a challenging circumstance
"Well, I guess that's just my cross.  I'll have to take it up and follow Christ!  Poor me!"

Is that what Jesus meant when He said (Luke 9:23 NASB):  "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me."

Is this really complicated?  What does the cross symbolize?

DEATH!  The Cross reminds us of the death of Christ! 

So, if we're to take up our cross daily - we're to take up the symbol of death daily.

This seems to have a double meaning:
  1. It could mean to remember daily the price that Christ paid for my redemption.  However, we are not told to take up Christ's cross daily - but our cross daily.
  2. So, it probably means that we are to go through each and every day with a willingness to lay down our very lives for Christ!
John 15:13 (NASB)  [Jesus speaking] "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."  The very next words are:  You are My friends...

And He did it!  He laid down His life for us! 

John 10:18 (NASB)  [Jesus speaking]  "No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative."

Galatians 2:20 (NASB)  [Paul speaking]  "I have been crucified with Christ;  and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me;  and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." 

APPLICATION
Christ is more important than me!  I live, but not to accomplish my purposes or my goals.  I live to accomplish His purposes!  What He wants trumps what I want! 

He has given me new life!  I owe Him everything!  I would lay down my life in a heartbeat for Him and for His purposes! 

Philippians 1:21 (NASB)  [Paul speaking]  "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

Could you get excited about going to Heaven today?

No comments:

Post a Comment