Search This Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2012

THE BURDEN IS LIFTING

Twenty-five years ago, I was pastor at the Oakland Free Methodist Church in East Liverpool, Ohio.  I was thirty-five years old, but found myself leading a Pastoral Support Group of area pastors - almost all of them older than me.

One member of the group was Fred Shreffler.  Fred had been Debbie's pastor for many years.  He was seminary educated (rare for his day).  In my opinion, he was the best Bible teacher that the Pittsburgh Conference ever produced.  A quiet man - unassuming. 

When Fred opened his Bible and began to teach the whole group fell silent as we eagerly listened and hung on his words! 

One day, as Fred was approaching retirement, he told us a story.  He told us about receiving his first solo appointment to the New Cumberland, West Virginia, Free Methodist Church.  He explained that as he traveled - alone - down Route 2, he felt a burden begin to settle on his shoulders.

Now every pastor understands this language.  It's a burden of responsibility.  It's the care of a shepherd for his sheep.  When is a pastor not a pastor?  It's a 24/7 awareness that you could - at a moment's notice - be called into service! 

Fred closed his story with a smile, then said:  "Just now, the burden is beginning to lift!"  I never forgot it.  I was happy for Fred.  We were all happy for Fred!

And now, twenty-five years later, I too am feeling the burden lift!  More than a few people have observed a light-heartedness in me over recent weeks.  It's a good feeling.  Joy flows a bit more freely.  Laughter comes a little easier and with greater frequency. 

Ministry is my calling!  I have loved my role.  It'll be strange - in future weeks - not preparing to preach!  I'm moving on to new roles.  We have God's approval on our actions.  We look forward to our new status as missionaries with great anticipation, excitement, and expectation! 

All to Jesus I surrender, all to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him, in His presence daily live!
I surrender all.  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior, I surrender all.

No comments:

Post a Comment