Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

PHONE TREES

To live in the 21st century is to face the reality of dealing with phone trees.  Who would have thought thirty or forty years ago that we'd talk to computers and have them respond to our requests? 

"Press 7 to continue..."

"OK, please wait while I see if I can locate your information..."

Wouldn't it be interesting if we could hear all the comments that are being made between these instructions?  Maybe not!  C'mon, we've all made the comments.  I've noticed that my volume tends to increase the longer I am held on the line.

"Please provide your account number to continue..."

"Thank-you!  I'll look up that account now."

People use all kinds of tricks to short-cut to a real, live person!  Some start angry and stay angry!  Some just constantly choose the option that is most likely to get them to a real person.  I believe these systems are set up to encourage you to give up.  Only the truly persistent get what they want! 

Last fall I tried to make changes to my AT&T account.  After repeated efforts to negotiate these changes, I tried the email route.  I connected with a customer service representative who quickly and courteously made the changes.  I was thrilled and told her so.  I asked if I could keep her address handy for any future needs I might have - she said, "Yes!"  I also asked her if she was single and told her that I had two single sons!

"Please hold the line while I connect you to one of our customer service representatives."

ALL WE WANT IS TO SPEAK TO A REAL, LIVE PERSON!!!  PLEASE!!!

By-the-way, I typed this article while holding the line with Travelocity!  Furthermore, I was totally satisfied with their service - once I got through to a REAL PERSON!!!!!   :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment