Search This Blog

Friday, June 1, 2012

MY FINAL LOG ENTRY

When I graduated from Roberts Wesleyan College, I was hired to be a Pastoral Apprentice at the Pearce Memorial Free Methodist Church for the summer.  Dr. V. J. Mannoia was the Senior Pastor.  He put me under the charge of Associate Pastor (and later bishop) Richard Snyder.

Although I didn't have a great deal of access to Dick, the times I had were very valuable!  On one occasion I asked him about a book that he seemed always to be writing in.  He explained that it was a type of log-book where he kept details of his activities.  Apparently, lay leaders had questioned him about the use of his time and this was his solution.

I took the lesson to heart.  Throughout the years I developed systems to help me record my activities.  Doing so has made it very easy to develop a monthly report for the leadership boards of the churches I have led. 

My most recent system utilizes a steno pad.  On the left side I log my home and personal activities in quick, abbreviated notes.  On the right side, I log my pastoral activities with times, names, details, and various contacts.  I began this sytem in May of 1999, and finished Sunday in my 16th steno pad!

It occurred to me Sunday morning that I would no longer have to report to a leadership team.  Any reason for logging information had evaporated. 

I admit that I've had a few neurotic moments where I've felt like sitting down and catching it up.  But as day passes to day, I'm feeling increasingly FREE! 

Just don't ask me what I did yesterday - because now I probably can't tell you...

No comments:

Post a Comment