Search This Blog

Saturday, June 2, 2012

WHY I'M NOT A HUGGER

Reason #1

I was born in 1952.  I weighed over eight pounds at birth.  My mother was having difficulty birthing me.  The solution at that time was to break the baby's collar-bone.  Dr. Chadwick broke my collar-bone and I entered the world. 

I assume that I was taped up and unable to be handled for the first weeks of my life.  This fact very conveniently explains everything that is wrong with me!  Including why I'm not a hugger!

Reason #2

My Dad was a long-term member (over 25 years) of the Pittsburgh Conference (Free Methodist Church) Stationing Committee.  This committee was responsible for appointing pastors to their churches.  It involved working closely with the area bishop and conference superintendents [back then Pittsburgh Conference had four superintendents]. 

This work required strict confidentiality.  Dad carried this responsibility with great seriousness - it was a burden. 

Although I never heard him break a confidentiality, certain things would leak out from time-to-time.  All-the-while, I was recording this data.  One of the things I repeatedly heard him say was, "If pastors could just learn to keep their hands off of women!"  Apparently the Stationing Committee had to deal repeatedly with charges and allegations against pastors because of inappropriate relationships.

I received my call to ministry at the age of seventeen.  Then came college, marriage, and seminary.  When I assumed responsibility for my first church, guess what rule I put into effect? 

I was so strict about this that I didn't even extend my hand when greeting women upon entering or leaving the church.  Fairly soon, this created a problem for me.  In my fourth year of ministry, a college-aged woman spoke with me privately and asked why I didn't care for her.  When I proclaimed that I did indeed care for her and her family, she explained that it didn't feel like I cared - because I never touched her! 

I've learned to moderate my touch over the years - and will occasionally offer a hug;  but my Dad's tapes continue to play in my mind - even after thirty-seven years in the ministry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment