Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

GOD! YOUR EXPECTATIONS ARE SO HIGH!

I read this morning about King Asa of Judah (II Chronicles 15-17)

His story begins with the words:  Asa was careful to obey the Lord his God.  As a result, he enjoyed ten years of peace!

Then a massive army came against him from Ethiopia;  his troops were outnumbered two-to-one.  But Asa turned to God:  ...we trust in You alone to rescue us.  And God DID rescue him with an amazing victory! 

After this victory, God assured Asa that if he would be faithful, he would enjoy peace.  Asa began a reform that included removing his own mother as queen-mother because she made an idol to a false god!  God honored Asa with twenty-five more years of peace!

In his thirty-sixth year, the king of Israel declared war on Asa.  As a result, Asa made a deal with the king of Syria - who agreed to threaten Israel!  Israel backed down!  Asa foiled his enemy and re-established peace!

Then a prophet of God visited him.

The prophet reminded Asa how God had delivered him from overwhelming forces earlier in his career.  Then the prophet asked why Asa had turned to a foreign king instread of turning to God for protection?  Then he pronounced:  What a fool you have been!  From now on you shall have wars.

I wish I could tell you that Asa repented.  He didn't.  He got mad at God!  He threw the prophet in jail! 

Listen to this irony:  Three years later, Asa got a disease in his feet.  ...he didn't go to the Lord with the problem, but to the doctors.  so he died...
                                                                                                                                  
Sometimes God is so demanding!  His expectations for me are so high!  He expects me to constantly trust Him and never worry!  Doesn't He understand how hard this is for me to do?

Like Asa, sometimes I am capable of solving my own problems. 

But God wants me to turn to Him with EVERYTHING!!!  And He will honor me when I do so! 

But, if I start taking matters into my own hands - guess what?  He'll let me!  I may even resolve my problem;  but I forfeit the joy of partnering with God and allowing Him to work His wonders in and through me!

Lord,
Help me to live up to Your expectations!  Help me to turn to You first - ALWAYS!  Your Holy Spirit lives in me.  Through Him, constantly remind me to trust You!  And You will give me peace!
Oh Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment