Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

BOOK RECOMMENDATION

A friend at church passed me two books and suggested that I read them.  She stated that they might be enjoyable to me in light of my plan to hike the Appalachian Trail.  They were library books and had to be read soon, due to the 'return' dates.

When I got them home and realized they were novels, I was somewhat disappointed;  I don't read novels.  Debbie strongly encourages me to read one-a-year, which I dutifully do!

Partly out of curiosity and partly out of duty, I started reading The Walk, by Richard Paul Evans.  By the time I'd finished the introduction - I WAS HOOKED! 

I read at every opportunity and found myself walking with him and feeling the depth of his pain.  Every encounter was fascinating. 

The story-line:
It is the story of Alan Christoffersen.  It chronicles his early-life love with McKale, their eventual marriage, her accident and death.  By half-way through the book - having lost everything - he sets out to walk from Seattle, Washington to Key West, Florida.
The Walk tells the story of his journey from Seattle to Spokane, Washington.  The reader is delighted by his "chance" encounters with a variety of individuals;  all of whom seem to advance him on his search for healing and renewed purpose in his life.
I giggled and was delighted by the book!  He is an amazing and sensitive writer.  The twists and turns of the story keep you leaning forward - wanting more!

An hour after finishing The Walk, I began reading the sequel, Miles To Go.  I stayed up later than usual last night reading the first few chapters (which were largely a review of the first book). 

Thanks, Carol!  I'm really enjoying the books! 

If you want them next, I should be returning them in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment