Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

NO BIRDS

As I walked across the parking lot to the church early this morning, I realized how quiet it was.  All throughout the spring and summer, I enjoyed the morning songs of the birds.  Today, it struck me - they're gone! 

It was a stark realization.  A moment of sadness.  It's a harbinger of shortened days and the coming cold.  Most of us cringe at the thought.  For many, however, fall is a favorite time with cooler temperatures and the beauty of the leaves changing color. 

In my thought-pause this morning, I felt the sadness of a season ended.  But it was quickly followed by the hope that they'll be back!  Sometime in March, they'll return!  Once again, I'll be awakened by their chattering outside my window. 

Over the years, I have gained a great appreciation for the playing out of the Christian life through the seasons of the year. 

Winter begins with the celebration of the birth of Christ. 

Spring signals new life through Lent and the hope of the resurrection.

Summer is the season of life when we celebrate the work of Christ through His Holy Spirit and His church.

Fall signals death and thanksgiving for God's good gifts.

And then - it begins all over again! 

And somewhere - beyond it all - Christ is preparing a place for us where the birds will sing forever and all the redeemed will sing with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment