Search This Blog

Monday, October 31, 2011

I LEARNED TO PLAY POOL IN PRISON

Many years ago, I held a part-time job as a prison guard at a minimum security prison in Lexington, Kentucky. 

I had the evening shift.  The job entailed being available to the residents throughout the evening and then doing periodic 'head-counts'.  I actually spent a lot of time in the recreation room with the residents talking, playing Dominoes, and playing pool.  Some of the residents were amazing pool players!

One evening, I asked one of the residents if he would teach me to play pool better.  We had established a pretty good relationship.  He agreed to do so - as long as no one knew that he was teaching me.  Under his tutelege, I became a considerably better player.

Fast-forward a few years.  I was living in Jeannette, PA, and attending Pittsburgh Theological Seminary as a part-time, commuter student.  Every day, I would eat my lunch in a commons area that had a pool table.  I would eat and shoot a few tables during my lunch break.

One day a fellow came in and asked if I wanted to play a few games.  We did.  I won each game decisively!  After three games, he casually asked where I learned to play pool so well.  I told him I learned in prison.

He picked up his books and left - abruptly!

No comments:

Post a Comment