Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2011

STORMS, VANDALS, AND BEARS

Because of my plan to hike the Appalachian Trail next year, I regularly check several websites that share information about the trail.

Sadly, many parts of the trail have been severely impacted by hurricanes and storms.  The whole trail is closed in Vermont.  Alternate routes are suggested in many states.

There has also been an increase in vandalism at the many access points to the trail.  Windows smashed and cars broken into.

AND, problems with black bears are on the increase.  Quite a few shelter areas are closed because of bears who have figured out how to get into 'bear bags' hanging from trees. 

A Virginia family actually had a black bear break into their house - while they were in it!!!!  The man was mauled and his wife also suffered from the attack. 

OK - where am I going with this?

I'm now officially recruiting prayer partners for my trip!  :-)

2012 is looking like it may not be the best year to be through-hiking the AT.  But I'm still excited and counting down the days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment