Search This Blog

Monday, October 5, 2020

DO NOT DECEIVE YOURSELVES

This title is Paul's advice to us from I Corinthians 3:18.  The slope of self-deception is slippery and all of us find ourselves sliding down it from time to time.  It's a human frailty to hold others to a higher standard than we hold ourselves to.  

Henrietta Mears writes:  
"Everyone has four faces - one the world knows, one our friends know, one we know ourselves, one God knows.  Paul describes this in I Corinthians 4.  There are three courts before which we stand:

People - 4:3

Our own conscience - 4:3

Jesus Christ - 4:4" 

There's a regression in these steps:

  1. People in the world think I'm ok.
  2. My friends think I'm a pretty good guy.
  3. I know the truth and am aware of the evil thoughts that can consume me.
  4. God knows the truth and whether or not I'm serious about being His man.

In facing this reality, Paul faces squarely what it means to be human and reminds us why we need confession as a part of our daily prayers.  

We have a natural tendency to let ourselves off the hook for those

  • inappropriate thoughts
  • feelings of jealousy and envy
  • times when we simply say 'No' to God's leadings
  • lustful imaginations
  • longings for vengeance
  • hateful attitudes
  • etc.
We compare ourselves to others and think, "I'm not so bad."   

But the problem is:  We're not compared to others;  we're held against the standard of God's holiness!  

I know:  it doesn't seem fair!  It's an unattainable goal!  Only God is holy!  How can we be expected to meet such a goal?  I can't help these thoughts and feelings.  They're part of being human.  

I've lost the source for this quote:  "I may not be able to stop a thought from flying through my mind;  but I can prevent it from landing and making a nest."  

Keep in mind that God has made provision for our stubbornness and sinfulness:  it's called forgiveness.  All God requires is that we ask for it.  I John 1:9 begins with the words, If we confess our sin...

Clearing the slate daily is the best course of action!  Our problem - in the cluttered culture of the 21st century - is that this process takes deliberateness and time.  You can't very well do it on-the-run.  

So, we must find a few moments each day to get in His presence and allow Him to clean our conscience.  This may mean:

  • eating lunch alone instead of with the crowd
  • using the drive-time to work
  • rising a few minutes earlier than usual
  • pulling away from the television for a few minutes in the evening
  • kneeling at our bed before climbing into it
  • be creative - you can find your own moments for quiet introspection!
The Apostle Paul enjoyed knowing that God had cleaned his conscience:

Acts 20:26,27,33-34 (NASB)

Therefore, I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men.  For I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole purpose of God…I have coveted no one’s silver or gold or clothes.  You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my own needs and to the men who were with me.

Samuel also was proud that he had lived a clean life:

I Samuel 12:2-4 (NIV) 

As for me, I am old and gray, and my sons are here with you. I have been your leader from my youth until this day. Here I stand. Testify against me in the presence of the Lord and his anointed. Whose ox have I taken? Whose donkey have I taken? Whom have I cheated? Whom have I oppressed? From whose hand have I accepted a bribe to make me shut my eyes? If I have done any of these things, I will make it right.”

“You have not cheated or oppressed us,” they replied. “You have not taken anything from anyone’s hand.”

Samuel said to them, “The Lord is witness against you, and also his anointed is witness this day, that you have not found anything in my hand.”

“He is witness,” they said.

These were not super-spiritual men;  they were mere human beings!  Just like us!  If they could do it - so can we!  

"Lord, I yield myself to thee, All I am or hope to be - Now and thru eternity, With thy Spirit fill me."  - Oswald J. Smith (1940)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment