Search This Blog

Thursday, October 1, 2020

WHAT KIND OF BUILDING MATERIALS ARE YOU USING?

The verses in I Corinthians 3:10-15 have captivated me for years, and yet most people read over them very quickly and give them little attention.  I think there are ENORMOUS truths in these verses that give us tremendous hope - even for those who are living their Christian lives poorly.  I could talk about these verses for hours!

[The Apostle Paul speaking]  By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

FIRST, Paul is clearly speaking spiritually here.  He is laying a foundation.  Paul is a church planter!  He goes from country to country introducing people to Jesus Christ - no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.  Paul has a singular purpose:  ...one thing I do:  Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.  [Philippians 3:13-14]   Paul was a man of singular purpose.  Oh, he also made tents, but that simply enabled him to support himself while he preached the Gospel!  

SECOND, Paul welcomed others to build on his foundation!  It most assuredly wasn't all about him.  Paul never travelled alone!  He had many that he was always working with to develop them for the ministry.  Some are:  

  • Luke, his personal physician, often travelled with him.
  • Barnabas - Acts 14:14
  • Epaphras - Colossians 1:7
  • Aristarchus - Acts 27:2  Colossians 4:10
  • Gaius - Acts 19:29
  • Silas - II Corinthians 1:19
  • Onesimus - Philemon 1:10-16
  • Sosthenes - Acts 18:12-17
  • Trophimus - Acts 20:4
  • Tychicus - Acts 20:4
  • Timothy
  • John Mark - Acts 12:25
So, you see, Paul wasn't in this alone!  He often left these individuals to carry on his work - like leaving Timothy at Ephesus - while Paul moved on to new frontiers!  

THIRD, Paul gives us a metaphor for the way we should live.  He mentions building with gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw.  Then he talks about our work being tested by fire.  Gold, silver and costly stones will prevail, but wood, hay and straw will burn up.  We're left to determine - on our own - are we building our lives with actions and activities that will last?  If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss...

He doesn't unpack this further, but the implications are powerful.  How are we living our lives?  How are we spending our time?  What captivates us?  How are we making a difference?  How are we influencing others?  Who are we investing in?  What kind of influence do we have?  What will be our legacy?  

FINALLY, Paul gives hope to us in case we haven't used our time and resources well.  If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.  This is the GRACE message!  Even if we have used poor materials or have not focused very well on the mission God gave us - we may still be saved!  Such is the GRACE of GOD!  

The Bible clearly teaches that there are levels of rewards in Heaven.  For example:

Revelation 22:12-13
[Jesus speaking]  Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

[If you'd like a full list of these verses, shoot me a message and I'll gladly email them to you.]


Lord Jesus,

Help me to build wisely on the foundation of Truth that You represent!  Help me to use materials that will survive the judgment fires.  Help me to work diligently and faithfully.  Help me to invest in others and not be jealous when they continue building on foundations that I may have laid.  Help me to live with Heaven's rewards on my mind!  

For the Kingdom's sake.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment