Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

HEAP COALS OF FIRE ON THEIR HEAD

Bizarre title, huh?

It comes from a verse in Romans 12:19-20,
Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.  Therefore

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.” 
[NT quote from Proverbs 25:22]

In yesterday's blog, I reviewed the first part of I Samuel 24, where David is hiding in a cave in the wilderness and King Saul stumbles into the cave to relieve himself.  David's men see it as a God-given opportunity to kill the King and ascend to the throne.  But David refuses their advice because of his high standards;  he will not harm the Lord's anointed one.  However, he does get close enough to cut off a corner from the king's robe.  

As Saul leaves the cave, David follows him and points out that he could easily have killed the king.  He clarifies that he has no intention of ever harming Saul.  He bows before Saul - prostrating himself with his face to the ground!  He proclaims himself a faithful servant of Saul.   

See, my father, look at this piece of your robe in my hand! I cut off the corner of your robe but did not kill you. See that there is nothing in my hand to indicate that I am guilty of wrongdoing or rebellion. I have not wronged you, but you are hunting me down to take my life. May the Lord judge between you and me. And may the Lord avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you.  [vs.11-12]

Saul's response is remarkable:

Saul asked, “Is that your voice, David my son?” And he wept aloud. “You are more righteous than I,” he said. “You have treated me well, but I have treated you badly. You have just now told me about the good you did to me; the Lord delivered me into your hands, but you did not kill me. When a man finds his enemy, does he let him get away unharmed? May the Lord reward you well for the way you treated me today. I know that you will surely be king and that the kingdom of Israel will be established in your hands. Now swear to me by the Lord that you will not kill off my descendants or wipe out my name from my father’s family.”

So David gave his oath to Saul. Then Saul returned home, but David and his men went up to the stronghold.   
[vs.16-22]

 ______________________________________

How did David heap hot coals on Saul's head?

By being overtly generous with him.

  1. David spared Saul's life!
  2. David bowed before Saul and gave him respect.
  3. David called Saul, "My Lord, the king!"  "...my father..."
  4. David exposed his heart of innocence:  "my hand will not touch you."
  5. David made an oath that he would never cut off Saul's descendants or wipe out Saul's name.
This is the essence of the principle taught in Romans 12 and Proverbs 25.

One commentary that gets it right is the Bible Knowledge Commentary on Proverbs. It says this:

Sometimes a person’s fire went out and he needed to borrow some live coals to restart his fire. Giving a person coals in a pan to carry home “on his head” was a neighborly, kind act; it made friends, not enemies.

Proverbs 25:22 instructs us to give our enemy so many burning coals they have to carry them the way burdens are carried in the Middle East: in a container on the head. Then they can go back and immediately bake their bread without having to wait for the wood to become suitable coals for cooking.  

This reminds me of how Abraham Lincoln responded when asked why he did not seek to destroy his enemies, but showed them leniency instead. He said, “Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?”     

 [Jeremy Meyers, https://redeeminggod.com/heap-burning-coals-on-your-enemies/]

As representatives of God's grace, we must learn to treat our enemies with such generosity, respect and kindness that they will see our righteousness and respond in kind.  


Kind and Loving God,

This kind of living is the opposite of the way most of us think.  We are driven by revenge and hate.  But Your upside-down Kingdom calls us to a higher response.   With the help of Your Holy Spirit, we can do this!  Help us to see all our options in the future and choose ways that will promote our enemies into friends!  

For the Kingdom's sake.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment