Search This Blog

Saturday, October 24, 2020

PLANNED GIVING

When Debbie and I were younger, I bought gifts for her that (I noticed) she never used or wore.  I guess my tastes were different than hers.  I remember one year buying her a rather extravagant white sweater;  I was so excited for her to open it.  To the best of my knowledge - she never wore it.  When I asked her about this she gave me a rather blunt answer:  "Sometimes I just don't like the stuff you buy me."  I was frustrated!  

So, I developed a plan:  For quite a number of years, I took Debbie to the mall in mid-November for a leisurely stroll.  As she looked at various items, I made mental notes of what store we were in and where the items were located.  Then, I went back to the mall later in the day (ot the next day) and bought all of her Christmas gifts.  Problem solved!  😁

I eventually told her what I was doing.  She thought it was pretty smart!  

______________________________________

I just had the most delightful hour!  I was going through a week's mail and came across Samaritan's Purse 2020 Christmas Gift Catalogue.  It lists all kinds of things you can purchase for those in need around the world:


  • Hot meals for hungry children and families
  • Care for an orphan
  • Help by providing emergency medical care
  • Serving refugees
  • Helping families from disaster areas
  • Helping a family earn an income
  • Help a poor farming family
  • Plant a grove of trees
  • Give a dairy goat, cow, chicks or honey bees
  • Give balls or sports gear
  • Provide a family a water filter 
  • Help dig a well
  • Provide life-changing surgery
  • Support a mission hospital
  • Help build a house or a church or a hospital
It just goes on and on.  I expect to soon get a similar gift book from International Childcare - where Debbie and I have two sponsored children:  one from the Philippines and the other from Kenya.  You have to act now for them to receive their gifts by Christmas time!  ;-)

So many in our world need so much!  We already have SO MUCH!  These various catalogues offer the opportunity for gifts of any size!  You don't have to give hundreds or thousands.  
__________________________________

I vividly remember quite a few years when we realized we had grossly overdone it for our kids at Christmas!  It was embarrassing.  We bought too much!  

Now that we're retired, we don't buy as much.  We live comfortably and try to be as generous with others as we can.  

So many - even here in our own country - are hurting this year.  Our generosity can make a difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment