Search This Blog

Thursday, October 22, 2020

SOME PEOPLE NEVER LEARN!

 Just a few days ago, we talked about David sparing Saul's life in a cave.  Saul showed great remorse for pursuing David and they parted company apparently reconciled.  

Two chapters later, the Ziphites contact King Saul and report that David is hiding in their area.  Saul garners up 3,000 soldiers and again pursues David.  

David sent out scouts who located Saul's camp.  He and Abishai sneaked into Saul's camp in the middle of the night when they were all in a deep sleep brought on by God.  

Abishai desires to run his spear through King Saul, but David stops him.  Don't destroy him!  Who can lay a hand on the LORD's anointed and be guiltless?  [26:9]

Instead, they take Saul's spear and water jug and slip out of the camp.

When they're a safe distance from Saul's camp, David calls to Saul's captain, Abner:  Why didn't you guard your lord the king?  Someone came to destroy your lord the king.  What you have done is not good.  As surely as the LORD lives, you and your men deserve to die, because you did not guard your master, the LORD's anointed.  Look around you.  Where are the king's spear and water jug that were near his head?  [26:15-16]

Saul recognized David's voice and said, "Is that your voice, David my son?"

David replied, "Yes it is, my lord the king."  And he added, "Why is my lord pursuing his servant?  What have I done, and what wrong am I guilty of?...The king of Israel has come out to look for a flea...  [26:17-18,20]

 Then Saul said, "I have sinned.  Come back, David my son.  Because you considered my life precious today, I will not try to harm you again.  Surely I have acted like a fool and have erred greatly."  [26:21]

David then returned Saul's spear and Saul said to him:  May you be blessed, my son David;  you will do great things and surely triumph."  [26:25}

So David went on his way, and Saul returned home.  [26:25]

____________________________________

God is continually reaching out to King Saul, trying to impact him with God's grace.  We see a similar situation in the New Testament where Jesus repeatedly reaches out to Judas - trying to awaken the Spirit in him.  But some people are resolute and stubborn in having their own way.  Sad!  

We are vividly shown the contrast between David - who had a heart after God - and Saul, who couldn't get past his jealousy and anger.  The lesson is obvious!  

It reminds me of a hymn written in 1902, by Adelaid M. Pollard:

Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way! 
Thou art the potter, I am the clay. 
Mold me and make me after thy will, 
while I am waiting, yielded and still. 

Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way! 
Search me and try me, Savior today! 
Wash me just now, Lord, wash me just now, 
as in thy presence humbly I bow. 

Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way! 
Wounded and weary, help me I pray! 
Power, all power, surely is thine! 
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine! 

Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way! 
Hold o'er my being absolute sway. 
Fill with thy Spirit till all shall see 
Christ only, always, living in me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment