Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

CARE-FRONTING

 Not long ago, I blogged about the continuity of God's Word.  Paul is a master writer and illustrates this beautifully in I Corinthians 4.  

In verses 4-5, he introduces a pregnant thought about the coming of Christ and His role in judging all people - including His followers.

My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.

There's a thought to reshape your day:  When Christ returns He will expose the motives of the heart and pass out atta-boys (atta-girls) to those who have been faithful!  

Max Lucado writes:

"When it comes to giving recognition, God does not delegate the job.  Michael doesn't hand out the crowns.  Gabriel doesn't speak on behalf of the throne.  God Himself does the honors.  God Himself will praise His children...(and) The crowns are given one at a time.  God Himself will look you in the eye and bless you with the words, 'Well done...'"   [When Christ Comes]  

Then, later in the same chapter, this master writer confronts the Corinthians with the facts of their arrogance and compares it to the lives of the Apostles.  

[Selected verses from 8- ]  Already you have all you want!  Already you have become rich!  You have become kings...you are so wise in Christ...you are strong!  You are honored...

In comparison:

For it seems to me that God has put us apostles on display at the end of the procession, like men condemned to die in the arena [a reality in Paul's day!].  We have been made a spectacle to the whole universe...We are fools for Christ...we are dishonored!  To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless.  When we are cursed, we bless;  when we are persecuted, we endure it;  when we are slandered, we answer kindly.  Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world.

Then Paul brings his point home:

I am not writing this to shame you [but it certainly should - and Paul knew that], but to warn you, as my dear children.  [The Greek word 'Noutheteo' is much stronger than "warn" - more like admonish]...Therefore I urge you to imitate me...Some of you have become arrogant...

Keep in mind, that Paul had spent a year-and-a-half among the Corinthians and had planted the church there.  He was NOT a stranger to them.  He had proven his love for them.  

He's being tough with them - for sure - but it is an expression of his love for them and his desire to see them receive that great reward from God!  He actually ends this chapter with the words:

...I will come to you very soon, if the Lord is willing...What do you prefer?  Shall I come to you with a whip, or in love and with a gentle spirit?   

 _________________________________________

Let's try to pull this together.

In recent decades, we (in American culture) have been heavily influenced with the concept of tolerance and alienation.  Evangelism has suffered from this!  Are we our brother's keeper - or not?  

Paul wasn't timid about directly confronting the Corinthians - with whom he had established an intimate relationship.  Remember, he's writing to people that he led to the Lord!  Not strangers.  

I have done the same.  Men who have come to Christ under my leadership are accustomed to me asking them how they're doing spiritually.  

In one of my early churches, at first, no men made themselves immediately available for training in righteousness.  However, two women did.  We carefully and respectfully sat at the table weekly and worked through discipleship materials.  Both are still serving Christ today - many years later.  And I wouldn't hesitate to ask either of them how they're doing spiritually.  

Do you care?  Do you care enough to confront?  Decades ago, Dr. David Augsburger coined a phrase in his book Caring Enough to Confront:  "care-fronting".  

I was so impressed over the years by Bill and Gloria Gaither.  When younger artists made immoral decisions and earned the ire of the general population, Bill and Gloria enfolded them.  They intentionally came alongside them and helped them find their way back to holiness!  They cared!  They reached out.  They care-fronted.  P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S!!!!!

If I should slip and do something stupid, I hope you'll pursue me and not leave me alone!  I hope you care enough about me to call me, visit me, come after me - instead of spurning me and rejecting me.  Unfortunately, the church has gained a reputation for shooting its wounded.  God, forgive us!  

This is eternity we're talking about!  It never ends.  Blessing and joy forever - or pain, suffering and regrets forever.  THINK ABOUT IT!  

Now, who do you need to call?  or visit?  or care-front?

Do yourself a favor and take four more minutes to watch this video of Jason Crabb singing, "Somebody Like Me".     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC-MyglVbCc

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment