Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

GOD GETS OUR ATTENTION!

 If you've been reading this blog, then you know we've been following the stories surrounding Esau and Jacob.  The dastardly deed is done, and now Jacob has essentially been sent far away (to protect him from Esau's wrath).  Isaac and Rebekah have sent him to Paddam Aram to take a wife from among Rebekah's brother's clan there.

We can only imagine the loneliness that Jacob experienced as he set on on this 500-mile journey.

Jacob must surely have had similar feelings.  Was he remorseful over his actions regarding Esau?  Did he have regrets?  Did he too, feel abandoned?  Did he already miss his parents?  

As the sun set, he took a stone and used it for a pillow and laid down to sleep.  

He had a dream in which he saw a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.  [28:12]

There above it stood the Lord, and he said: “I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring.  I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”

When Jacob awoke, he thought that he had stumbled onto the gateway to Heaven.  He marked the spot with his rock-pillow and anointed it with the name Bethel [Beth = house;  El = God].  

Then this ungodly young man did something he had never done before:  he made a vow.  It's words indicate that he was not thoroughly convinced.  But he WAS intrigued.  God had made a start in Jacob's life, mind and heart.  This start would take years of adversity to mature - but God had gained a foothold in Jacob's life.  Here's the vow:

“If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.”

Jacob intends to test God out.  It's an "If...then" statement..  He's not convinced.  But he's curious.  That's the way many of us begin our walk with God.  Jacob's wrestling match with God has begun!  

___________________________________________________


Sovereign God,

We may never know why You chose Jacob over Esau in Rebekah's womb.  Why You chose to be known as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob instead of Abraham, Isaac and Esau?  You are sovereign!  You do what You want to do and use whom You want to use.  

Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.  [Romans 9:18]
"Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?"   [Romans 11:34]

Our role is simply to trust You - no matter what happens.  Help us to do so.  Help us not to get caught up in controversies or squabbles or family entanglements;  but rather to walk ever forward with our hand in Yours!  

For the Kingdom's sake.  Amen.   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment