Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2012

HOLY COW?

I was in the back seat.  My Dad and Mom were in the front seat.  We were on our way to Wednesday night church.  I must have been about 10 or 12 - the beginning of the daring stage.

I don't remember the issue, but I was incredulous that my Mom took the stand that she did.  My response:  "Holy Cow!"

I had never seen her move quicker!  She spun around, reached over the seat, and slapped me in the face!  Needless to say, I was shocked - this had never happened before!  Then, with a piercing look she added, "Only God is holy!"

I never forgot that!

I just read Joshua 6-8 this morning.  God told Joshua and the Israelites to defeat Jericho by slaughtering everyone and everything.  They were not to take anything for themselves.  The only things that were to be kept were silver, gold, bronze, and iron utensils - for the Lord's treasury!

Everybody obeyed except one guy - Achan.  He saw a beautiful robe imported from Babylon, some silver worth $200, and a bar of gold worth $500.  I wanted them so much that I took them (Joshua 7:21 LB). 

The Israelites lost their next battle - 36 Israelite soldiers were killed and their army was humiliated.  God told Joshua that this loss was because of the sin!  The next day, Joshua brought the tribes, clans, and families before the Lord.  God singled out Achan, who confessed his disobedience. 

Achan, his family, his livestock and his belongings were taken out of the camp and destroyed. 

The Israelites won the next battle!

APPLICATION
What makes us think that God will condone a little sin in our lives?  Remember, the Israelites were to sacrifice an unblemished lamb! 

God is a holy God!  He wants absolute obedience.  God does not allow us to keep hidden items in our closet. 

Sin always brings consequences that we will not like!  He forgives the sins, but rarely takes away the consequences!

Thanks, Mom!  I needed that reminder...

No comments:

Post a Comment