Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

WHAT'S NEXT?

I remember this delightful story that my friend, Rick Anderson, told me years ago. 
They had spent the first night of Family Camp in their cottage.  He and Regina were awake early in the morning.  Suddenly, their daughter, Natalie (probably about 10 years old at the time), sat straight up in bed and said, "What's next?"
I've lived much of my life with this spirit of expectation!  I need motivation!  I need something to look forward to!  Right now, I'm looking forward to going to visit Jon, Tracie, and the kids in about a month!  I love the trip, seeing our family, and the excitement of a break from my normal routines!

When that trip is over, I'll be looking for the next thing on our schedule that motivates me!  It seems to be the way I'm wired.  Like Natalie, I want to know what's next?

In 1976, I was ordained into the ministry and took my first full-time assignment in Jeannette, Pennsylvania.  That was thirty-six years ago - hard to believe!  I've been leading churches for all but about six months of that time. 

I've recently decided to end that run.  In June, I will no longer be responsible for leading a local church.  Big change!  I'm very nostalgic about this right now.  It's actually scary knowing that I'll be doing something radically different in the future.  What that is hasn't even been fully defined as yet!

I'm waking up every morning now, sitting up on the edge of my bed and asking God:  "What's next?" 

What an exciting question!  I can't wait to find out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment