Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2012

NEIL CASTILUCCI

He was a big guy!  He was a truck driver.  He loved kids!  I was a kid!

I grew up in a growing church that bussed kids in from poorer areas of a neighboring town.  On Wednesday nights we had over one hundred kids in our Christian Youth Crusader program.

Neil was the CYC Director (along with his wife, Norma).  Neil drove the bus to get the kids!  Sometimes he would invite me to ride along - as his side-kick! 

To be honest, we were all a little afraid of Neil;  did I mention he was a big guy?  So, we wanted to please him!  And we knew that he had a gentle heart.

Neil and Norma would have the whole CYC come to their country house for outdoor parties.  I remember how fun they were! 

Eventually, I graduated into Neil's all-boy Sunday School Class.  He took every boy out on his birthday.  We were told that we could go anywhere we wanted - but Neil always managed to steer us to the New Brighton Hot Dog Shop where we could eat as much as we wanted!

Even though I had a great Dad, Neil still filled an important role-model need in my life!  I respected him and admired him.  At times, I envied his kids! 

I am who I am today, partly because of his influence in my life!  The world needs more Neils and Normas today! 

Dear Lord,
Help me to adopt kids unofficially.  Help me to give them attention and help them to know that Jesus loves them!  Help me to never overlook them or make them feel insignificant!  Help me to be generous with them.  Help me to live my life in such a way that I point children to You!
Oh Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment