Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

DISENGAGE FROM MATERIALISM

John Wesley (1703-1791) acquired significant wealth as a result of his books and publications;  however, he gave it all away and had the equivalent of $30 upon his death.

Ecclesiastes 11:1-2 (TM)
Be generous:  Invest in acts of charity.  Charity yields high returns.  Don't hoard your goods;  spread them around.  Be a blessing to others.  This could be your last night.

Selfishness and hoarding come so natural to us.  Generosity seems hard.

All of us know that we can't take any of this stuff with us. 

Solomon (probably the wealthiest man of all history) lamented:  I took a hard look at everything I accumulated on this earth.  I can't take it with me - no, I have to leave it to whoever comes after me.  Whether they're worthy or worthless - and who's to tell?  (Ecclesiastes 2:18-19).

Yet, we all want more!  We want the lottery.  We want wealth and possessions. 

We read that the poor are happier than the rich.  And on some level, it makes sense to us - but, nah, give me more! 

We read that it is more blessed to give than to receive.  Again, on some level, we agree - but, nah, I'll keep what I have.

We read of people who live in intentional poverty: Wesley and Mother Teresa;  we admire them - but, nah, that's not for me.

Did you hear the story of the man who got to Heaven?  He was so excited to see the mansion that Jesus had prepared for him!  However, when they arrived at his heavenly address, it was a poorly built shack.  He was shocked!  He asked for an explanation.  He was told that they had done the best they could with the materials he sent ahead!

By giving to others, we are laying up treasure in Heaven! 

So, how's your heavenly house coming along?

No comments:

Post a Comment