Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

EARLIEST MEMORY

I was three years old.  My family lived on Mt. Washington, in Beaver Falls, PA.  It was Veteran's Day and the city had planned a big parade! 

[It would have been 1955.  This post-war era had produced a great respect for our military.]

My Dad must have had the day off from work.  He took me by the hand and we walked down to the upper end of Beaver Falls to view the parade.  I remember that we walked through an old underpass.  I would have been frightened if I'd been alone.

It was chilly;  I had a little hat on.  My Dad held me in his arms while we watched hundreds of men march by.  Some were in uniforms.  There were some bands and other groups, but it was predominantly military!

Every time the American flag went past, my Dad taught me to take off my hat and hold it over my heart!  The flag went past us a lot that day!  By the end of the parade, respect for our flag and our military was deeply imprinted on my young mind!

God,
Thank You for those who have served to protect and defend our nation! 
Thank You for those who are presently serving;  including Travis and Jon.
And thank You for my Dad!
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment