Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2011

FIRST CAR - SOUND SYSTEM

As a senior in high school, I had an eclectic assortment of friends.  One of them, named Larry Wean (We-an), had a head for technology.  He mentioned an idea to me for my car;  it involved lights that would dance to music.

I already had a really cool radio in the car with front and rear speakers.  This radio came with a key that, when inserted, caused it to pop out.  The radio then became portable (AM/FM), with an extendable antennae that could be used on the beach or wherever else you might be.

Larry went to work.  He used three wedge speaker shells and put glazed glass across their fronts.  Then he placed small, multi-colored bulbs behind the glazed glass.  He wired these lights to the radio in such a way that they came on and off based on various pitches.

Two were placed on the back shelf and the third rested on the glove box door to be viewed from the front seat.  It was an amazing thing to behold!  It made my car totally unique!  On dark nights the lights reflected throughout the car and created a surreal experience - especially with the help of the reverb I had added to the system.

Oh, you should have seen and heard this experience when the song "Crimson and Clover" came on!  It was like an out-of-body experience!

SAD ENDING
When I left for college, my dad drove the car to church one Sunday night - just to run the car for a short time.  Hoods broke into it, clipped wires and stole the whole system.  I was left with just a memory - but a sweet one!

No comments:

Post a Comment