Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2011

IN MEMORIUM

His name was Bob, but I called him Lib.  His last name was Liberty.  He was my oldest sister's husband.  He died three years ago on November 2. 

My sister, Jeannette, is fifteen years older than me.  I have no memory of her - without Lib!  As far as my life is concerned, he was always there!  They always lived nearby.  I saw them frequently.

He came from good stock!  His mother and father were hard-working, compassionate people!  His brother had a reputation much like Lib's.  His sisters are two of the sweetest ladies on earth.  If you are a friend to the Liberties, they'll give you whatever they have and do anything for you!

He taught me to tie my shoes.  He encouraged me in sports.  He tried to get me to be a pitcher. 

He was a practical joker - you had to be on guard when he was around! 

There are so many side-splitting stories that will be told over and over when our family gets together.

Lib worked magic with kids!  He had unbelievable patience with them.  He would spin quarters;  if you could stop it on its edge, you could keep it!  He would drop a dollar between your fingers - if your reflexes were quick enough to catch it, you could keep it!  He knew card tricks and magic tricks and could entertain children for hours. 

When my kids came along, Uncle Lib was their favorite family member!  They LOVED him! 

His claim to fame:  he went to high school with Joe Namath! 

He loved to cook!  He loved sports!  He loved to hunt.  He loved to go fishing.  He was deeply committed to his sons, Tom and Bob.  He was equally committed to his grandchildren:  Brian, Nathan, and Ashley.  Nephews and nieces all adored Uncle Lib. 

He loved to get young people alone and then show a special interest in them.  He was rich in good counsel.  If he discovered that they had a dream, he would do what he could to facilitate that dream.

In his later years he developed a love for the Bible and for God. 

I loved him!  I miss him!  He made a huge impression on my life!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Harold for your kind words. Bob thought a lot of you and your family. We always felt blessed having you all in our lives. You were there for us during all our hard times.
    Love and Prayers,
    Janet (Liberty) Bozic

    ReplyDelete