Search This Blog

Friday, November 4, 2011

MY FIRST CAR

I got my license a couple weeks after turning 16.

My Dad went out and bought a second car.  It had belonged to my Uncle Ernie, who was meticulous in caring for his vehicles.  Uncle Ernie had bought it new in 1963, and had driven it for almost five years.  Dad bought it in 1968, right after Uncle Ernie traded it in for a new car.

[Dad didn't try to buy it direct from Uncle Ernie.  He didn't want Uncle Ernie to feel bad if something went wrong with the car after we bought it.  He simply asked Uncle Ernie to let him know when he traded it in.  Dad then beat a path to Sahlie's and bought it outright!]

It was in immaculate condition!  Uncle Ernie rarely left new Brighton, so the mileage was low!  The car was pristine!

When I got my license, Dad handed me the keys and said:  "Son, you can treat this as your car.  But, any time your Mom needs it, she gets it."

I couldn't believe it!  I was dumbfounded.  My Mom rarely wanted the car.  I gladly drove her around town for groceries and bill-paying!  For all intents and purposes, it was my car! 

I can't even begin to tell you what it felt like to drive around town in that car!  It was amazing! 

More stories about this car coming - check back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment