Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

MATTHEW

We have three Matt's in our congregation.  If your name is Matthew, you have a pretty good idea where that name originated.

I have wondered why Jesus chose Matthew to be one of the Apostles?  He seems to be a good bit unlike the others. 

From what I can gather, tax collectors in first-century Judea were wealthy, crooked, and hated.  Did Matthew get excluded by the other eleven?  Was he treated with suspicion?  Why wasn't he appointed the treasurer of the group - he certainly had the experience?  Was it that they didn't trust him?

Did he - like Zacchaeus - made his wrongs right?

I'm sorry!  I've asked lots of questions that I don't have answers for. 

I do believe Jesus deliberately chose Matthew to be an apostle to show His power to transform even the most crooked and despised life!  No one is beyond the grace of God!  No one!  There are no lost causes!

The beauty of the story is that when Jesus invited Matthew to be one of His followers, Matthew pretty quickly threw a party at his house and invited all his friends.  Matthew was so impressed with Jesus, he wanted all his buddies to meet Him, too!  Apparently, the evening went quite well. 

Luke writes:  (5:29)
...there was a great crowd of tax collectors and other people who were reclining at the table with them.
He set a wonderful example of outreach for us!  He used his wealth to promote his Savior! 

How am I promoting Jesus among my friends and co-workers?  How are you?  Thrown any parties for Jesus lately?

1 comment:

  1. I have once again tried to 'tweak' the system to make it easier to leave "comments". I'm sorry that many of you have had trouble doing so. I'd really like to have an ongoing dialogue of ideas and thoughts here! If you continue to have problems, please let me know: halhaire@sbcglobal.net Thanks for reading! Hal

    ReplyDelete