Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

WHY I CHANGED MY NAME

I was in the local pharmacy to buy a wedding card.  As I perused the racks of possibilities, I started reading cards that looked interesting.  One compared two men;  one was muscular and handsome, the other was old, ugly, and flabby.  The latter man's name was, of course, Harold.

Even Bill Cosby had a character from his early-life humor called Wierd Harold. 

All through the years, I noticed that the name Harold was usually given to strange characters, or made the butt of jokes.

But, it was my given name.  My father had named me after his best friend (from childhood days), Harold McNeese. 

I waited.

In 1981, my mother went to Heaven.  In 1992, my father went to Heaven.  In 1997, we moved to Akron and became involved in the Cornerstone Free Methodist Church.  Only two people there knew me. 

It was the opportune time!  I introduced myself as Hal (short for Hallelujah).   :-)

I've never regretted  this decision.  My kids struggled with it for awhile, but they've all adapted - they usually call me Dad, anyway  :-).

I never expected those who already knew me to call me anything but Harold.  It's still my given name. 

You can call me Hal.  You can call me Harold.  I even answer to Ira (my brother's name).  You can call me Rabbit.  Some used to call me Hairey Haire.  Many call me Pastor.  Just don't call me late for supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment