Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

FIRST CAR - LAST RIDE

It was the fall of 1971.  I was a junior at Roberts Wesleyan College.  Debbie was living at the farm again and working.  Consequently, I made lots of trips home to see her (and my parents).

I worked till 2:30 AM at UPS, then picked up a friend who lived in Pittsburgh to give him a ride home for the weekend. 

We arrived at my house quite early.  He was going to call his family to come and get him.  I had my hand on the back door, when I made a snap decision:  I told him to get back in the car and I'd go ahead and drive him home.

Within an hour, I dropped him at his home and got on the Pennsylvania Turnpike to return to my house.  The toll of work and driving all night caught up to me.  I nodded off.

I awoke when I hit the guardrails on the right.  Then careened across both lanes to hit the rails on the left.  Then fishtailed violently to the right again where I finally came to a stop - 300 yards from the first hit.

I bounced back and forth in the front seat violently (pre-seatbelt era) and put my head through the windshield at the final stop. 

With blood blinding me, I tried to get out of the car.  Gentle hands pushed me back inside and told me that help had been called in by a trucker.  This man comforted me and gave me something to hold against my shredded forehead. 

[NOTE:  I never met this Good Samaritan, but was able to send him a thank-you note much later.]

Ambulance.  North Hills Hospital.  375 stitches in my forehead!  The doctor on-call that morning - just happened to be a plastic surgeon!  Hmmm...

I spent a couple weeks of convalescing before returning to school.  My '63 Chevy went to its final resting place after that ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment