Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2011

CHRISTMAS TURN-OFF

Upon returning from retreat, Deb and I had dinner at Bob Evans last night and then did a walk-through at the mall.

The parking lot was jammed!  I literally parked facing the outer curb of the massive parking lot!

I hadn't been there in awhile, so I was shocked at what I saw.  In the major department stores tables were stacked high with techie gifts and other attractive gimmick items.  There's an obvious anticipation of selling huge volumes of these things. 

Main passageways were lined with eye-catching items.  Sale signs were everywhere;  I think it's so nice of them to have all these 'sales' right when we're all buying things for Christmas - don't you?

I watched people's faces.  I didn't see many joyful ones.  Most people looked angry or dazed.

I had to wait awhile at the counter in the Yankee Candle Store as the clerk wrapped my gifts.  Several customers were cared for during my wait.  The clerks were so courteous and friendly.  I found that the customers were repeatedly rude.  They treated the clerks disrespectfully.  I was surprised by that!

I would like to report that a number of people wished me a Merry Christmas - including one man who held the door for us as we left the mall!  That was encouraging to me!

Although I enjoyed my time with Debbie, I felt my joy slipping away.  I actually left in a quiet mood.  I felt - - - - embarrassment. 

It's a delusion to think that anything material will bring any measure of long-term joy.  But we seem to have missed that lesson somewhere. 

For those of you who consistently follow this blog:  This is what happens if you read books by David Platt and Francis Chan.  I told you - DON'T READ THEIR BOOKS!

1 comment:

  1. As I shared with you before, it is very hard working in retail at this time of year esp. because of this. It's hard to maintain your joy when you see this for hours on end every day throughout the season. So, I make it a special point esp at this time to read my devotions and bible and whatever else I can get my hands on at this time. Nothing but Christian music in my house and in my car. Kinda helps keep things level so to speak.

    ReplyDelete