Search This Blog

Saturday, December 24, 2011

MYRRH

It was no coincidence that the magi brought myrrh to Jesus!

Myrrh in this instance represented Jesus' eventual, sacrificial death!

It was a strange gift - somewhat like giving a family a funeral array of flowers at the birth of a baby.

Myrrh was an aromatic substance taken from balsam trees in southern Arabia.  It was rich brown or reddish-yellow in appearance.

It had many uses:
  • It was used as a perfume and beauty treatment (Esther 2:12).  There are many references to myrrh's romantic uses:  Proverbs 7:17;  Song of Solomon 1:13;  4:14;  5:5,13.
  • It was used in the anointing oil for holy purposes (Exodus 30:23f). 
  • It was ingested as a pain killer (Mark 15:23).
  • It was an embalming spice (John 19:39).
Ona Jane Meens wrote a lengthy poem titled "The Twelfth Christmas", in which she described a conversation between Mary and Jesus on His twelfth birthday.  She includes Mary describing the gifts of the Magi:
These gifts were the lovely caskets,
the gold, frankincense and myrrh.
We have guarded them well for thee.
Now, my lad, please do not stir;
I would have you close to my heart,
there is pain as well as joy;
and I must tell the story
though it brings us grief, my boy.

Frankincense for worship given,
power symbolized in gold -
would that we could forget the third,
think only of what I've told.
For the sad message of the mryyh
since then has clouded my life;
I know, fulfilling your mission,
death enters into the strife.

But always we must remember
You are God's begotten Son,
- a gift is mystery given -
that His Kingdom might here come.
It's a strange story, Mother,
but I feel that it is true.
God has sent me into the world
that I, His great work may do.

I must do my Father's bidding,
today I am twelve years old;
and He will make it plain to me,
so His plan I can unfold.
I will give the world His message,
that all men may understand
that I have come from the Father
to reveal His love for man.

And to lead into paths of peace
all who would walk by His side,
learning the way of the Master
and seeking His hand to guide.
I can feel my Father's presence -
I know His love and power.
So I accept my Father's plan -
trust Him in my darkest hour...
John 19:38-40 (NASB)
Joseph of Arimathea,...asked Pilate for the body of Jesus...So he came and took away His body.  Nicodemus,...also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds weight.  So they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen wrappings with the spices, as is the usual burial custom of the Jews.

1 comment:

  1. How's this for a blog entry . . .

    "Wow."

    There are many things that could be said, but for me, for now, this sums it up and seems sufficient. Wow. I've never heard it explained that way before. Thank you! ~ Jen

    ReplyDelete