Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

WALKIE TALKIE'S

I was probably about 10 or 12 years old.  We played army a lot in our neighborhood.  Doing so would take up whole summer days!  The nearby woods provided the perfect place to build forts and then attack one another.

About that time, walkie-talkies became  very popular.  I knew that having walkie-talkies would give our side a huge advantage in fighting our wars.  So, I asked for a set for Christmas.  I knew they were expensive and wasn't sure that I'd receive them.

In the course of opening presents, I eventually unwrapped a box and saw that it was a set of walkie talkies!  With excitement, I opened the box and found...

...one walkie-talkie!

Think about it.  What good is one walkie-talkie?  Who are you going to talk to?

After a moment of feigned joy and obvious disappointment, my Dad made a suggestion:  "Why don't you put the antennae up, turn it on, and start talking into it?  Maybe if you listen carefully, you'll find another one."

Hope rising, I did as he suggested.  I began walking through the house talking into my solo walkie-talkie!  Through the kitchen and bedrooms.  Nothing in the bathroom.  Into the garage.  Nowhere else to go except the basement.  Finally, in the far corner of the cellar, I started to hear my own voice.  Buried in my Mom's old 'ringer washer', I finally found walkie-talkie #2.

It was a happy Christmas - thanks to the fun my Dad always added with his unique twist on finding presents!

1 comment:

  1. My dad must have inherited the same gift from Grandpap! I can remember many fun Christmas' with our gifts. The ones that stand out were the year I unwrapped one ice skate. Then Uncle Lib came in and "sat" on the second one which he brought in with him. Another was the year I followed notes around the house for my 22 rifle. One year I got a birthstone ring....after opening box after box after box after box....The last that stands out was when we followed our notes and Lee and I came up with 2 boxes holding a plastic airplane in each box. We were so upset, then as we were told to look under the cotton in the box we found tickets to California; the one big family vacation we took when Dad was in the conservation group. We have continued the tradition as Jessee follows "Santa's" notes as well for her big gift each year. She'd be disappointed if we forgot to do her "Christmas treasure hunt!"

    ReplyDelete