Search This Blog

Friday, December 2, 2011

ENGAGEMENT

I went to college in 1969.  Debbie and I had already been dating for a year.  Having broken up, we got back together at college.  After two years of school, she returned home to work and pay off debts.  I finished my degree. 

Somewhere along the way, I decided to ask her to be my wife.  I didn't have any money saved - it was all going toward my education.  After college, I planned to go to Kentucky to attend seminary for three years.

My mom stepped in and asked if I would like to use her diamond ring to engage Debbie.  It was a beautiful, basket-weave setting.  I loved it - it was so delicate and sparkly.  Because of restrictions in the church at that time, this treasure had laid in my mother's drawer for forty years;  it was like new.

My dad had bought it for her sometime before their marriage in 1934.  I believe he bought it at a jewelry store auction in Beaver Falls, PA.

I quickly accepted her offer!

I purchased a silver, music-box, grand piano that had a small compartment in it.  I placed the ring in the compartment.  We went for an all-day trip to Conneaut Lake Park.  It was September 3, 1971 (her birthday).  After riding the rides all morning, we set up a picnic lunch.  During lunch, I gave her a gift-wrapped box including the piano.  When she lifted the lid and saw the ring, I asked her to marry me.

She said "Yes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment