Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

PEANUT BUTTER CUPS!

Back in the summer, I set a goal of losing twenty pounds by the end of the 2011.  I started eating healthy in September and lost the twenty pounds in six weeks!

Recently, however, I've been slipping.  It started with some dessert at Thanksgiving.  Then, I bought some chocolate-covered pretzels - pretzels are healthy, right?  Saturday I bought a bag of peanut butter cups - peanut butter is good for you, right?

Surpize!  I've gained five pounds.

Switch gears.

Very few people simply walk away from God!  Notice the language we've adopted that describes the cooling of our relationship with Him:
  • We back-slide! 
  • We fall away.
  • We drift from Him.

INSIGHT:

This process of becoming distant from God always begins with COMPROMISE!

I make little decisions that affect my relationship in small ways. 

When that little change doesn't make a huge difference, it seems to release me to make another small change;  and then another;  and then another.

Each compromise is gradually but persistently taking me further from God!  It takes awhile for me to realize that I've "drifted".  When I do realize it, it's difficult (nearly impossible) for me to track it back to that original decision of compromise (because it was so subtle).

Once I realize that I've drifted, I can do something about it!  I can create change in a positive way.  I can reinstate disciplines and cut away sinful practices.  I can quit eating peanut butter cups!

No comments:

Post a Comment