Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

EGG NOG

My Mom was a staunch believer in abstaining from drinking alcohol!  She was a member of the WCTU (Women's Christian Temperence Union) and a registered member of the Prohibitionist Political Party. 

The reasoning I was taught - from an early age - was that if one drink can even possibly lead to alcoholism, then why run that risk?

My Dad worked part-time as the custodian (handy-man) for a local children's home throughout my childhood.  He would work eight hours in the mill and then a couple of hours at the children's home.  He was loved and appreciated there.

Every Christmas, Mrs. Hasselback - the director of the home - held an elaborate party for the board and primary financial supporters.  Our family was always included in this event. 

My Mom and I would sit quietly out-of-the-way, while my Dad moved about the crowd comfortably conversing with people. 

One year, the party featured egg nog, something that my father loved and didn't very often get.  As he refilled his cup and worked around the room, he seemed to grow louder and a bit more outgoing than usual.

My Mom told me to get a cup of egg nog and bring it to her.  She smelled it and sent me to my father with the message:  "Don't drink anymore egg nog!"

I think my Dad slept really well that night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment