Search This Blog

Thursday, December 22, 2011

GOLD

I have one item made of gold.  It's a pocket watch that belonged to my father.  I don't remember when I received it or how it was given to me.  However, I have always prized it.  It has a secret compartment on the back that is suitable for a picture.  I purchased a gold chain to use in clipping it to my belt loop.

I haven't worn it in years.  I keep it hidden away in a tie box. 

It reminds me of a few lines from O'Henry's The Gift of the Magi,
Now, there were two possessions of the James Dillingham Youngs in which they both took a mighty pride. One was Jim's gold watch that had been his father's and his grandfather's...Had King Solomon been the janitor, with all his treasures piled up in the basement, Jim would have pulled out his watch every time he passed, just to see him pluck at his beard from envy.
I value my pocket watch because it was my Dad's.  I loved and respected him.  When I handle it, I know that he once wore it and handled it.  It connects me to him!

Gold is still a great gift today!  It's value is consistent.  It's beauty is always appreciated.

Gold was an appropriate gift for a king!  Jesus was a King! 

It is likely that this gift of gold funded Joseph and Mary's trip to Egypt and back.  It was God's way of providing for their needs! 

God still provides for the needs of His children!

Why not wear something gold today to remind you of how precious Jesus is to you?  If you see me today, ask for a glimpse of my pocket watch!   :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment