Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2011

A DISTURBING SCRIPTURE

Luke 6:35-36 (The VOICE)
[Jesus speaking] If you want to be extraordinary - love your enemies!  Do good without restraint!  Lend with abandon!  Don't expect anything in return!  Then you'll receive the truly great reward - you will be children of the Most High - for God is kind to the ungrateful and those who are wicked.  So imitate God and be truly compassionate, the way your Father is." 

Jesus, did You really mean this?  It seems to me that You set the bar really high!  To do these things goes against my grain.  There is something in me that instinctively hates my enemies.  I tend to naturally be stingy.  And when I do something nice, I expect a return of some kind on my investment. 

You’re saying that if I counter these natural impulses and deliberately do what You say, I’ll eventually get a great reward?  Is that really true?  You expect me to make massive sacrifices while I’m here on earth in hopes that someday – after I die – I’ll be greatly rewarded? 

Isn’t that a long-shot?  I don’t see many people taking You up on that deal.  As a matter of fact, I’m not sure I know anyone who’s deliberately living that way.  So why should I? 

If everyone I see and know is hoarding and luxuriating, why shouldn’t I?  If we’re all wrong, at least I won’t be alone in any judgment that falls on me. 

What if I don’t want to be extraordinary?  Then can I hate my enemies, do less good, and hoard?  If I choose ordinary, does that mean I’ll still make Heaven but just won’t get a great reward?   Or, will I lose Heaven too? 

Why do You have to expect so much of us, Lord?  Can’t You just let us enjoy our lives here?  Why do You demand that we be so other-conscious?  Am I my brother’s keeper? 

No comments:

Post a Comment