Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

THREE BOOKS TO AVOID

There are three books I would suggest that you not read: 
  • RADICAL, by David Platt
  • RADICAL TOGETHER, by David Platt
  • Crazy Love, by Francis Chan
These books will mess with your priorities and make you want to do radical things!  Avoid them at all costs!

For instance,
      Unleashing God’s people to accomplish God’s purpose in the world requires that we devote ourselves to relentless prayer in the church…you and I realize that it is impossible for us to accomplish His purpose in our own strength.  So we express our dependence upon God in prayer, and He delights in showing His glory by giving us everything we need for the accomplishment of His purpose.
     When you read the story of the early church in the book of Acts, you see people for whom prayer was fundamental, not supplemental.  Three times Luke tells us that the church was devoted to prayer (1:14; 2:42;  6:4). They were utterly dependent on God’s power.  Every major breakthrough for the church in the book of Acts came about as a direct result of prayer .   (RADICAL TOGETHER, p.114)
See what I mean?  What's wrong with a "supplemental" prayer life?  C'mon, having a "supplemental" prayer life has to be better than not having a prayer life - right?  Just leave me alone.  I pray before meals.  I pray when I'm in trouble.  I pray in church.  I even pray once-in-awhile just because I love God!  What do these guys want me to do?  live on my knees?

These guys make it sound like your whole life should be centered around pleasing God.  Church is nice.  Everyone should go from time-to-time.  There are nice people there.  They have free coffee and donuts.  They entertain your kids.  But goodness, aren't we supposed to do everything with moderation? 

"Relentless prayer"?  How am I supposed to make a living?  This Platt guy is taking the Bible way too seriously!  He makes it sound like God owns me or something. 

Whatever you do - if you're reasonably comfortable and happy in your life - DON'T READ THESE BOOKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment