Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Fun at the Fair

An African pastor spoke at our church last month.  The folks he was staying with had recently taken him to the Summit County Fair.  He remarked:  "Although I had read my students the story 'Charlott's Web,' I never knew what a fair was."

Fair's are a wonderful piece of Americana! 

I attended the Lawrence County Fair all-day yesterday. 

I sat for hours talking with family.  We walked through barns with incredible displays.  We watched our neice show her pig.  We watched our other neices ride their horses.  We saw cows being milked.  We side-stepped manure piles all day.  We ate some delicious food.  There were rides and other amusements for the younger crowd.  We watched some parents ride horses in the evening in a friendly, comical competition.  We soaked up lots of sun. 

I was particularly impressed with how the accomplishments of children and youth were celebrated!

We came home late and I went straight to bed.  And, oh, what a good night of sleep I had!  :-) 

All-in-all, it was a mini-vacation!  And we only spent about $30.

If you haven't been to a fair in awhile, you might want to head for one before the summer ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment