Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

RETREAT CHANGES ME

Three or four days of silence and solitude transforms me.  My heart and attitude change.  I seem to see more from God’s perspective than when I’m stuck in the muck of everyday living.  Part of me mirrors Peter:  Rabbi, it is good for us to be here;  let us make three tabernacles...”  I want to stay here even longer and soak in the nearness to God.

However, that would make me largely ineffective!  There’s a world to be won and people to be influenced.  Retreat is retreat;  it strengthens us and re-connects us to our Lord.  But then we return to work!  Refreshed.  With clearer vision. 

Oh, how I wish that more would schedule times like this.  You may not be able to take four or five days, but some time away for reflection and meditation would do so many of you so much good!  It’s really not impossible.  Face it - we do what we want to do!  If we want it bad enough, we make it happen! 

Years ago, I led lay and clergy retreats.  Some of them were even ‘silent’ retreats.  I never had anyone say (after a retreat), “This was a waste of time.” 

If you’d be interested in participating in a weekend retreat this fall, let me know.  I can be found on Facebook or via email:  halhaire@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment