Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Where Will I Be Next Year This Time?

There's a little game I play almost every day.  It's called:  Where Will I Be Next Year This Time?

I have worked it out with Free Methodist Community Church to have a six month Sabbatical Leave.  After worship on Easter Sunday, I will fly to Georgia and begin backpacking the Appalachian Trail (to Maine).

It should take five to six months. 

When I can, I'll post updates on this Blog for anyone who would like to follow.

As of today, it's 229 more days till I leave.  Next year this time, I hope to be in Maine - getting very close to Mt. Katahdan (the end of the trail).


I'll begin testing my gear and preparing food this fall - and losing weight.  In January, I'll begin my training.  To be honest, most don't finish.  About 4,000 try every year;  around 200 complete the trip.  I HOPE to make it.  Typical reasons for leaving the trail:  injury, sickness, run out of time or money, boredom, weary of trail conditions (rain). 

Deb will be my trail manager - mailing me supplies.  I appreciate her support for this life-long dream!  Just thought you might be interested.  I'll be talking more about it in future posts!  Thanks for reading...

1 comment:

  1. 7 1/2 Months! Here we come Trail. One week is better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete