Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Lying

I think I was about five years old.  I told my parents a lie.  My dad sent me away from the table to sit on the couch in the living room.  That had never happened before - I knew I was in big trouble!

After a lengthy wait, my parents came in and stood across the coffee table from me.  From my sitting position, they looked like giants!  My mom was crying.

My dad explained that they would no longer be able to trust me - they would always be left wondering if I was telling the truth.  His voice was soft but intense.  I could sense their sadness.

I was not happy that I had disappointed them so deeply.  I wanted to please them, not hurt them.  So, I decided - in that moment - to be a truth-teller!  And all-these-years-later, I'm still trying to maintain that standard!

"Watch your words and hold your tongue;  you'll save yourself a lot of grief."   Proverbs 21:23 (TM)

No comments:

Post a Comment