Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MOUNTAINS

Psalm 121:1-2 ™
I look up to the mountains;  does my strength come from mountains?  No, my strength comes from GOD, who made heaven, and earth, and mountains.

I’m on retreat in the mountains of north central Pennsylvania.  As I work, I can lift my eyes and see a massive mountain through the window of my room.  It rises higher than I can see from my vantage point.  It is covered with lush, green trees.  At its foot rushes a crystal clear, cold, mountain stream!  I go there occasionally to talk with God.

What is it about being in the mountains that seems to strengthen my soul?  Would the same thing happen anywhere?  Is it the mountains, or is it just being away from the normal routines of my life?

No TV here.  No phone service (text only).  No internet.  No sounds of traffic.  I go all day without seeing anyone. 

God and I keep this all-day dialogue going.  I talk with Him while I’m falling asleep;  then greet Him out loud as I’m waking up!  Off and on, throughout the day, I talk with Him.  I do this at home, too;  but it certainly is more free-flowing here! 

It takes me at least a day to quiet down and disengage from everything and everyone I’ve left behind. 

I actually have four days to enjoy this experience – with a travel day on both ends.  When it’s time to go home I’m anxious to see Deb, but sad about leaving this special place.

The mountains are great and impressive, but it’s not the mountains.  It’s God!  And I love Him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment